Metamarkets is a big data company that combines Hadoop, in-memory computing, and Cloud architectures to deliver insights over massive data in milliseconds. We are pleased to have them presenting at our Under the Radar Conference on April 26th. Before you watch them pitch, learn a few things about their company culture. Mike Driscoll, Metamarkets CEO, answers a few questions on what makes Metamarkets unique.
1. If your company was a movie, which one would it be and why?
We aspire to make the science fiction dashboards of Minority Report a reality.
2. If you could give a TED Talk, what would it be about?
I would talk about the magic of data science to make this invisible universe of data visible and tactile.
3. What Hollywood star would play your CEO?
Jeff Goldblum or anyone with experience portraying slightly mad scientists.
4. What one piece of advice would you give to other entrepreneurs?
“Vision without execution is hallucination.” – Thomas Edison
5. Which other internet startup do you respect the most?
I love how DropBox has taken a simple idea and executed on it beautifully.
6. Who’s the most impressive founder you’ve ever met and why?
I met Marc Benioff at a conference in Germany last year and he had enough charisma to fill a room. His one piece of advice was “go bigger.”
7. What’s the first website you check out every day?
My Twitter feed.
8. What’s your company’s theme song?
The Pandora station seeded with Moby.
9. Whose Twitter feed inevitably makes you laugh?
Aaron Levie, Box.net’s founder, has a hilarious Twitter feed. My favorite last Tweet read: ”With Instagram’s $1B acquisition, I can no longer recommend building enterprise software over photo sharing apps.”
10. What’s been your favorite moment since starting your company?
This may sound sad, but I am someone who is in a state of perpetual dissatisfaction about my start-up. I think we can always be better, and I’m not one for looking back and feeling overly proud. We have so much more to do. At the same time, I am pathologically optimistic about our prospects for the future. The day that we cross over into being a viable, profit generating entity will be my favorite, crowning moment in the company’s history.
As a special thank you to our blog readers, enter promo code: “utrblog” when registering to receive $100 off your ticket to attend UTR and see Mike and others present on stage!